Thursday, January 23, 2014

Weekly Wrap Up

Another week is behind us, and it was a short one! With no school on Monday, and then a bad weather day on Friday, it went by super fast!

We focused on narrative poetry this week (poetry that tells a story). We read several examples, and then each student wrote one of their own. We have some talented writers in this group, I have really enjoyed reading their "Wait" poems from last week and this week's narrative poems. At the end of our poetry unit, each student will choose their favorite poem they wrote and we will have them bound into a hardback book each family can purchase. More details later in February!

We wrapped up our study of the three branches of government with an open-note test. Tests and their Constitution mini-book and branches of government charts should have come home in Thursday folders so you can get a peek at what they learned.

On Thursday, we started a new science unit on Objects in the Sky. We will be focusing primarily on the sun, moon and earth, but will briefly touch on the other planets in our solar system as well.

In math we are continuing fractions, with lots of hand on manipulative work with fraction circles, as you can see in the photos below.







Two things to know about next week...I will be out Monday morning for district required training, and we will have the same substitute that they had two weeks ago. She will run things just the way I like, and I will be back after lunch! :)  On Wednesday, all of third grade is taking the district-wide reading assessment.  It is a test similar to the STAAR test they will take in April, so it will be great practice, and give me important data about any gaps in their learning. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful three day weekend...try to stay warm safe! Oh...I almost forgot...last week, I challenged the kids with some tangram activities. They could not get enough of it, so I put a few links up on my "Websites" page where they can print out their own set of tangrams and solve various puzzles. So if you hear, "I'm bored..." Friday or this weekend, that might be something to keep their mind engaged!

No comments:

Post a Comment