Saturday, January 18, 2014

Weekly Wrap Up

It was another great week in third grade! As you know from my email on Monday, I was out in the morning for some staff development, so the kids had a substitute. She left a glowing note about what a wonderful class they were, and I could not have been more proud!

On Tuesday we had some challenges with our laptop day (dying batteries, computers not working, trouble accessing my blog, etc.) You name it, and it happened to us that day! But the students were such troopers, and so patient, and we just found ways to work around all of the technical glitches. We were able to use the laptops to create a class Water Warriors newsletter, with each of the four groups adding their own article. We did an online review of the water cycle and the kids took a short multiple choice quiz through Stemscopes. And in math, each individual student did an online lesson on symmetry and completed the geometry scavenger hunt that we started last week. We reviewed how to save their work to a shared drive, so instead of printing page after page, I was able to log on yesterday and view their scavenger hunt webs to grade them. Everyone did an excellent job! We just got started on our fractions unit in math, so that will be the focus for the next two weeks most likely.

We shifted our science focus to social studies mid-week and began learning about the three branches of government. Mrs. Stowe popped in for a visit on Friday and they impressed her with their knowledge. We will wrap up our government study on Tuesday or Wednesday, and then transition back to science with "Objects in the Sky".

We finally finished our "One Little Word" bulletin board and I love how it looks! I took a picture of each student holding their word they drew and posted those with their well-written paragraphs. I hope it will inspire them throughout the year to make positive changes in their lives based on their word choice.





Just a reminder, there is no school on Monday January 20, and I hope you all enjoy your three day weekend. I am going to brave the roller skating rink on Monday with both kids, so it will be interesting to see how John (my 4 year old) does on skates for the first time! I'm just hoping there are no broken bones! :)


1 comment:

  1. Very impressive! Great work from everyone!
    Thanks Mrs. Lipe for your continuous updates and pictures. I love them. Have fun rolling skating. I will be taking London and his younger brother to the Austin Zoo :)

    ReplyDelete